World Breastfeeding Week 2020
As every year, the first week of August celebrates breastfeeding worldwide.
Today, breastfeeding of infants under six months old would only be made at 40% worldwide.
Breastfeeding or not breastfeeding, this is the question you are asking yourself. And it’s not an easy choice. We will therefore try to give you some information to help you in your reflection.
Let's go for a short overview of breastfeeding and as 7 days ago in a week, we will approach 7 key points. Original right?
N ° 1: WHO recommends breastfeeding for at least the first 6 months
Beneficial for infants :
- - Covers all needs (vitamins, mineral salts, trace elements, sugars, fats, proteins);
- - Protects against infections or diseases (gastroenteritis, otitis, allergies ...);
- - promotes good digestion;
- - Faster psychomotor development.
Beneficial for mothers :
- - accelerates contractions of the uterus, which resumes its place faster after childbirth;
- - decreases the risk of ovarian and breast cancer as well as the risk of osteoporosis;
- - Help find the line;
- - Polishes the emotional bond.
N ° 2: White gold: Give breast milk
Breast milk is very useful for premature children: prevent certain complications: infections, ulcero-negroting enterocolitis, retinopathy.
“Any woman who breastfeeds and wants to give her milk can do so. A small bottle of 100 ml of milk per day for 15 days is enough. »»
To be able to give your milk, you just have to fulfill 4 conditions: being healthy, not smoky, not having benefited from blood transfusion and having a negative serology.
Lactarium provides all the necessary explanations and equipment: Break puller, bottles ...
The surplus of milk is frozen and given to the lactarium teams.
“The milk collected is pasteurized and controlled: bacteria, viruses and screening for fraud. »»
Milk is then distributed to neonatalogies services on medical prescription.
N ° 3: some drawbacks
- - Bareless babies eat more often because breast milk is digested faster;
- - For the same reasons, despite the soothing effect of prolactin, the breastfed baby often needs a meal overnight. Result: he usually makes his nights a little later;
- - Some drugs/treatments should be avoided during breastfeeding;
- - A baby can become difficult, have difficulty sleeping or developing gases: sometimes you have to limit the consumption of certain foods: spices, citrus, cabbage, coffee, tuna/canned fish, alcohol.
N ° 4: milk evolves!
Nature is well done and the body adapts perfectly to baby's needs.
At the end of the feeding, the milk is fatty and acts as an anti-reflux cap, which is why it is advisable to completely empty one breast before going to the other. Most of the time, 1 feeding = 1 breast and we alternate.
In addition to evolving during feeding, milk evolves over the weeks. The first days, the milk is slightly laxative and helps baby get rid of the impurities contained in his belly. Then, it continues to evolve around 6 weeks, 3 months and 6 months to adapt to the needs of the growing baby.
N ° 5: Father's "place"
Most of the time, the choice to breastfeed or not involves the question of the role of the father during this experience. Will he be able to find his place? Will he not feel too excluded during feeding?
The father has a real role during breastfeeding, different from that of the mother but just as important! Many women said they need more support from dad during this period.
"Sweet words, tender gestures, facilitate logistics, get drinking, carrying and changing baby while mom goes back to sleep, etc. »»
It is also possible for the father not to fail to feed his child and give the bottle thanks to the breast pump!
N ° 6: responses to received ideas
- - "I have too small breasts. »»
All women can breastfeed, whatever the size of their breasts, except in very special cases.
- - "It will damage my breasts. »»
No, it is above all the pregnancy and the accumulation of fats that modify the breasts. Age and tobacco are also linked to a decrease in skin elasticity.
- - "breastfeeding, it tires. »»
No, a breastfeeding woman goes back to sleep faster after feeding, thanks to the action of two hormones: prolactin and oxytocin.
- - "breastfeeding, it hurts. »»
The 1st days, the breasts can be very sensitive or even painful. But breastfeeding should not hurt. If this is the case after several days, you should not stay with your pain and consult a health professional.
N ° 7: Resources to go further ...
In order to find out more, we invite you to consult theVanillamilk application, A useful platform for serene breastfeeding. We share together the idea that Allaiter is a personal and sometimes difficult choice. It is important to do it in full awareness, according to your own feelings, not depending on the surrounding pressure that can weigh on you. Listen to yourself, let you know, trust yourself, and everything will be fine!